Forum

Notifications
Clear all

It's All About Love in JA'LOJA ❤️...is it?

YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

“If two people care about each other, the choice to love should transcend timing, and anything less is cowardice.” –Capt. Ed Mercer

Love this line! To me this was reminiscent of Shakespeare’s Sonnet 116

“Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove…”

Do you think love that can “transcend timing” is possible? How did you feel about Kelly’s unwillingness and/or rationale for not trying to work things out?  It is understandable that she feels that work issues would not allow a Captain and Commander to have an ideal relationship, but when Ed performs his “drive by” and Kelly threatens back with:

“Okay, here’s what’s gonna have to happen….you’re going to have to somehow find a way to make peace with this because if what happened last night ever happens again, I’m going to request a transfer.”

I can’t help, but wonder, wouldn’t that just resolve the issue? 🤔 Or would they just be back to square one as they felt when they were trapped in the Calivon zoo? We know Ed worked too many hours when they were married, what did Kelly do? Obviously she was trained as a commander when she came aboard the Orville, but we really don’t have all the facts do we?  The best part of fictional series clashing with our idle minds as we wait for Season 3 is our ability to speculate! So what do you think “really” happened? Can they ever work it out?

edkellyjaloja

atuzam liked
atuzam
(@atuzam)
Ensign

I love this discussion! @rebelheartrose just posted this quote on Twitter, too. (I'm not sure whether or not she's the same "Crystal" who is a member here.)

The only problem with focusing on this quote out of context is that it doesn't explicitly include an important part of Ed's message that is clear from the rest of their conversation: he's not only saying that the choice to love transcends timing (and that anything else is cowardice), but also that the choice to engage in a relationship based on that love transcends timing (and that anything else is cowardice). I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly even agrees that love itself transcends timing, as I don't think there's anything else in that conversation or elsewhere in the series that shows that she disagrees. In fact, if I recall correctly, the scene includes Ed basically asking Kelly, "Do you still love me?" and her pretty clearly avoiding answering the question directly. What they disagree about is whether or not their mutual love should compel them to engage in a relationship. Ed believes that their love compels committing to an intimate relationship; Kelly believes (I think!) that acknowledging her time-transcendent love for Ed is not inconsistent with choosing not to be involved in an intimate relationship with him due to one or both of them prioritizing their careers.

You asked what folks feel about Kelly’s unwillingness and/or rationale for not trying to work things out... I am all about it. I am practical to the core, and if I chose to prioritize something/someone over my love for another human being, and I believed that being involved in that relationship along with the thing I was prioritizing would harm myself, the person I love, or even someone else outside the relationship (Kelly gives the example of how their hypothetical relationship would raise the chances for Bortus to be placed in harm's way), I'm sure I'd have to wrestle with it and it would break my heart, but I believe I would make the same decision Kelly does.

You also asked if they can ever work it out... I actually had an idea for a fan fiction piece (which I haven't written yet, but I still might! 😉) in which Kelly goes on an away mission and is injured beyond medicine's ability to restore her to the physical condition required for her job, and as a result decides to retire her commission, stay aboard The Orville, and re-marry Ed. ...so clearly I think there's at least one scenario (and there might be lots of others) in which they can work it out.

Finally, I have also always been curious about a lot of the details we don't have about the time while they were married that they spent apart. I'm guessing Kelly was also working, but that she just didn't have to commute. If they had chosen to live closer to where Ed was working (unless he was mobile and going lots of different places, either I don't remember or it wasn't explained), then it would be Kelly who was commuting, and choosing to prioritize her career over adequate time with her spouse. In this case, the deterioration of their relationship could just as easily have been disproportionately her fault. A specific detail I've always been curious about regarding this backstory is (again, it could be that this was explained and I just don't remember!): did Kelly actually ask Ed to reduce his hours or pursue a different commission? Being the communication scholar snob that I am, if she never initiated communication identifying his work as contributing to her loneliness and the deterioration of their relationship, she shares in a large part of the blame for not only how the relationship ended (obviously, due to her cheating), but also how far it was going down the tubes in the first place.

ReplyQuote
atuzam
(@atuzam)
Ensign

I hope there's no character limit on replies! 😉 😉 😉 

ReplyQuote
Kaythiastar
(@kaythiastar)
Ensign

Love is never as simple as a quote.

Love is rarely as pure and flowing

as words in a poem crowing

the rhythm of a lover's breath blowing

or locked eyes intensely glowing

hooked and netted, the Salmon only knowing

ReplyQuote
atuzam
(@atuzam)
Ensign

@kaythiastar

Is that a quote?

ReplyQuote
Kaythiastar
(@kaythiastar)
Ensign

Its funny, so I'm making it a quote. "Love is never as simple as a quote." --KaythiaStar

The Poem is for Dan.

🤣 🤣 🤣 

ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

@atuzam

geez, I do not think there's a character limit to replies, but if anyone finds one please let me know!

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

@kaythiastar

Never simple at all, charming, yet nasty little four-letter word 😉 

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
Tink Lecuyer
(@tink)
Ensign

I thought we were going Willy Wonka for a second. What a sweet poem!  ❤️ I hope they take a break from the Ed/Kelly relationship for at least a few episodes. I really want other relationships and potential relationships in focus. 😄 Cool  

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
Share: