Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Thoughts about this quote from Ed Mercer, what is your interpretation of this quote?

CrystalCurlee777
(@crystalcurlee777)
Ensign
Topic starter  

“If two people care about each other, the choice to love should transcend timing, and anything else is cowardice.” #TheOrville

Kaythiastar
(@kaythiastar)
Ensign

Love is never as simple as a quote.

Tink Lecuyer, YesAndAgain, atuzam and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
CrystalCurlee777
(@crystalcurlee777)
Ensign
Topic starter  

Love never goes away. It may be hidden for a time, but if it is real, it will be there through many obstacles and through complications. Time is only relative. That's what I got out of the quote. You're right. Love isn't as simple as a quote. We make it complicated. 

ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign

@crystalcurlee777

I love this quote Crystal, I mention it in talking about Ed & Kelly's relationship and when I first saw the episode, even when Seth MacFarlane tweeted about the episode saying "Tonight's show contains a little nod to writer Theodore Sturgeon," I replied saying it was a nod to Shakespeare as well.  Specifically Shakespeare's 116 (one of my favorites, enjoy!):

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me prov'd,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov'd.

ReplyQuote
CrystalCurlee777
(@crystalcurlee777)
Ensign
Topic starter  

@yesandagain

I love that insert! I took a class on Shakespeare. I loved it! Love Shakespeare! I'm glad it was a nod to that passage. 

ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign

@crystalcurlee777

Shakespeare will always be a favorite for me too and MacFarlane didn't say that, that was what I replied to his comment.  It's just freaking hard not to see that connection lol 😉 

Screenshot 2020 01 07 YesAndAgain on Twitter And another nod to Shakespeare’s 116 “Let me not ” —love the show…

This post was modified 2 years ago by YesAndAgain

ReplyQuote
CrystalCurlee777
(@crystalcurlee777)
Ensign
Topic starter  

@yesandagain

What is your favorite Shakespeare play?

ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign

@crystalcurlee777

I will choose based on the first that comes to mind and that is Hamlet, but there are so many others, all of them in fact, quick to follow in my memory: Othello,Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo & Juliet, Julius Caesar, Richard, All's Well That Ends Well, Tempest, Much Ado, Macbeth,Comedy of Errors, Winter's Tale... I could probably just name them all lol, I loved all my Shakespeare classes, his stories, the characters, the lines are just timeless! Which is your favorite?

ReplyQuote
CrystalCurlee777
(@crystalcurlee777)
Ensign
Topic starter  

@yesandagain

Midsummer Night's Dream all the way. All the madness but a happy ending for all. The humor and playfulness is what attracted me to the play. This one is by far my favorite and it is light. 

ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign

@crystalcurlee777

Oh I love it, I can still recite that final speech in my head! ❤️ ❤️ 

ReplyQuote
Avp60685
(@avp60685)
Ensign

It is a beautiful quote and it is so powerful with it's meaning! I am glad Seth chose to share this bit of classic literature with all of us! Here is almost all of the Shakespeare quotes on love and they are all so amazing:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare_quotes_about_love

ReplyQuote
CrystalCurlee777
(@crystalcurlee777)
Ensign
Topic starter  

@yesandagain

I really enjoyed the shananigans of the play. 

ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign

@avp60685

Not exactly, as I mentioned to @crystalcurlee777,  Seth MacFarlane didn't say that, it was what I replied to his comment about Theodore Sturgeon.  For me, it's difficult not to see a connection, but who knows, maybe there is none.

Screenshot 2020 01 07 YesAndAgain on Twitter And another nod to Shakespeare’s 116 “Let me not ” —love the show…

ReplyQuote
Avp60685
(@avp60685)
Ensign

Understood. Either way it's a cool quote. 

ReplyQuote
Share: