Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Ouch! My Logic! Temporal Anomaly?

YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

Anyone else had an issue with this exchange between Ed and Kelly after Pria is finally subdued:

Kelly: “You told her?”
Ed: No. No I didn’t tell her. She…she knows ‘cause she’s from the future.” 
Kelly: “But it’s in the past”
Ed: “I told her.”

I just couldn’t, can’t, something is broken here... Or does it just say something deeper, more "psychological" about the characters?  🤔 I thought the script and acting were brilliant in this episode. How did you all feel about the exchanges between the captain and commander?

past

Tink Lecuyer
(@tink)
Ensign

You mean that Ed lied until he was caught in it? I have to re-look at that episode. 

ReplyQuote
atuzam
(@atuzam)
Ensign

I agree, @YesAndAgain, that scene was a little awkward. I think it was a great gimmick theoretically, but the script missed the mark by a smidgen. I don't think it was a mistake, I think the writing of the gag just could have been implemented a little more clearly. The first two lines are fine; it's Kelly's response that's odd. Rather than saying, "but it's in the past," I would think she would have retorted something more like, "So you're saying it has so much historical importance that she learned about it in her Survey of the 25th Century class?" I'm not a writer, I know that probably sounds dumb, too 😉, but I basically mean something saying she wouldn't know that because it was historically insignificant, whether it happened in the future or the past. ...but meh. It was a fun gag despite being a little confusing.

...but yes, @Tink, I think Ed was... "lying" might be a strong word, but definitely intentionally deceiving... until Kelly thought it out and called him on it ("caught him" works).

ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

I agree with both of you, it was bit of comic relief, or maybe a weak point for Ed in front of Kelly. But is it only with Kelly? Could Ed be incapable of a good "poker face" or the ability to stick to his guns?  In Krill (S1, E6), he does a fairly good job of deception, but it is a planned mission, not a spur of the moment scenario. However, when he thought about making up new names in All the World Is Birthday Cake (S2, E5) he couldn't bring himself to do it (maybe just a little more comic relief).  This isn't exactly a terrible trait, but, personally, I'd prefer a Captain to be just a tad more quick-witted. 🤔 

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
Avp60685
(@avp60685)
Ensign

Maybe the reason he couldn't fall through with the lie is because he was on the spot.

When people are observing you, you can quickly come up with a quick wit or you panic and maybe that's why his lies were easily caught by Kelly.

I myself have had a decent time lying with a straight face but some people can see right through it. So I think the more familiar you are with someone it's harder to pull off the trickery/deception. 

Maybe that's the case here with Ed and Kelly.

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
Share: