Forum

Notifications
Clear all

The Calivon Zoo & Reality T.V.

YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

I thought this was an excellent concept I heard on JP’s Egotastic Funtime’s TALKING THE ORVILLE LIVE 'SPLOSION | Last Show Of The Year - Fan Discussion that streamed live on Dec 26, 2019, you should really check it out: TALKING THE ORVILLE LIVE 'SPLOSION

What would the effect of Reality T.V. be on this culture? Could you imagine the “zoo” being replaced by camera crews on other planets? It would definitely provide much more insight than just having a single alien on display. According to Kelly, Earth has moved away from having traditional zoos—maybe the Calivon will do the same as they gain a greater understanding or tolerance to others? Would it just dumb them down as they sit gawking in disbelief? What are your thoughts?

calivon

atuzam liked
Avp60685
(@avp60685)
Ensign

Traditional zoos fading in popularity I can somewhat see happening even now.

The National Zoo here in the Washington DC area was a popular subway stop but now not so much. 

People are almost butt hurt about animal rights and I believe there needs to be some appropriate means to keep these animals without feeling abusive or controlling.

Reality t.v. sadly on the other hand tends to give a distorted image of what people are like. So the Cavilon Zoo would definitely give mixed images to the keepers. 

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

@avp60685

I can think of a few zoos that have done a lot of good to help species that might otherwise go extinct on their own--I believe this is the trend that needs to be seen.  On the Calivon version of reality TV though, you think they'd establish a "series" solely for "entertainment" purposes or because they want a greater understanding of other species? We are shown a zoo without the facts... I wonder how it's advertised?  Is it a side show attraction or more national geographic?

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
Avp60685
(@avp60685)
Ensign

Excellent question, since we never saw any thing indicating what species was what we don't know. 

I know seeing the movie, "The Phantom of the Opera" (the newer version) there's a scene where young Phantom/Erik is out in a cell and treated like an animal.

It's scary to think this fictional zoo could have something eerily similar even in the future with the people and alien species. 

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
atuzam
(@atuzam)
Ensign

@avp60685

I don't understand what you mean by "some appropriate means to keep these animals without feeling abusive or controlling." Isn't "keeping" them, by definition, "controlling" them?

ReplyQuote
Avp60685
(@avp60685)
Ensign

What I mean is like an environment that is similar to their one that doesn't feel artificial and permits freedom. 

Yes keeping them is very similar to controlling them.

ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

I am only willing to approve of "zoos" when they are run as sanctuaries for injured animals or in the hopes of saving a species from total extinction--even then, extinction happens, in spite of how much we try controlling it:

"The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent"
                       ― Stanley Kubrick

But forget the zoo!  To me this episode has more to do with dominance and control over what they believe are lessor species. How do you think the reality TV concept will impact the Calivon? Will they have something to gain or lose?

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
atuzam
(@atuzam)
Ensign

@yesandagain

Agreed about the zoos, @YesAndAgain, that their purpose should be limited to sanctuaries. As long as we are creating/defining/limiting their "environment," no matter how natural it is, they are never free.

About the reality TV concept, though... I'll admit that when I initially saw the episode, I didn't think reality TV would have much of an impact on the Cavilon at all, other than giving them something to do other than going to the zoo. 😉 I'm interested to read what other people think!

ReplyQuote
Avp60685
(@avp60685)
Ensign

I just hope it doesn't give them a twisted perspective on what is humans are like.

I am sure certain overseas cultures got a misinterpreted view on what people were like in America and other places.

My paternal grandmother came to the States just prior to World War 2 and had to learn quickly English because she was constantly ordering ham and eggs until she learned something else.

I have had friends who live overseas and they were confused about certain things since they had gotten conflicted messages.

So maybe that is the case for the Cavilon. They should proceed with caution in viewing reality t.v.

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

@avp60685

My family migrated here as well and although Miami is highly multicultural, when traveling to other states the clash was striking for them. But, do you take the initial impression at face value? The whole "You cant judge a book by it's cover" concept?  As an "advanced" species maybe they see it as an opportunity to conduct their own exploration, maybe they react with "No doubt. We rule" or perhaps, "We may have been mistaken?"

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
Avp60685
(@avp60685)
Ensign

True enough there. 

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
atuzam
(@atuzam)
Ensign

@yesandagain

I'm inclined to think that other species would be like human beings in that it would take a LOT of evidence for them to change their minds about their superiority, and I doubt reality television (even millions of hours of it) would be sufficient.

ReplyQuote
Share: