Forum

Notifications
Clear all

It’s All About Tolerance

YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

Moclan tradition is to alter the gender of a child when born with the “deformity" of being female. As outsiders looking in it may be revolting, but can we accept that it is not our way?  What were your thoughts on this predicament? And also curious: what did you think of the Rudolph fable?

girl

Topic Tags
Avp60685
(@avp60685)
Ensign

This was an intense subject and I felt like Ed and Kelly in this episode. What I mean is that they both provided some solid arguments to support why the child should remain female.

I think of my own life where someone made the comment: "It wouldn't dare be a girl!"

Because of this hateful comment, I chose to be a strong female who may be heterosexual but isn't afraid to speak up. Maybe not dominate as some are but I do use my voice and words to speak volumes.

So this episode spoke to me on a personal level.

And the Rudolph legend story was a sweet touch to help tell an unique story. We never know our full potential of it is stifled or altered. 

ReplyQuote
atuzam
(@atuzam)
Ensign

I'm not sure about my answer to the question of whether or not I reject this idea because it's not my way or because it's actually morally wrong, but... I am sure that one of my favorite things about this episode is the fantastic job they did of playing it right down the line so that no matter which side of the fence you're on, you don't end up feeling like the episode is lecturing you.

ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

@atuzam

I agree, About A Girl, was incredibly well written and definitely did not feel like a lecture while presenting very real issues of equality, laws, traditions, and acceptance. Seeing it from the the perspective of an Earth that has come to terms with such problems, we realize that they will then become a Universal issue. It's almost a defeatist approach suggesting that in spite of our best intentions, we will always be faced with the same difficulties. But, the story does not end here...

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
Tink Lecuyer
(@tink)
Ensign

I can’t wait to see how this all plays out for Topa. 

atuzam liked
ReplyQuote
Share: