Forum

Notifications
Clear all

25th Century Traditions: What are we celebrating?

YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

Once in a discussion about religion I was arguing the sharp contrast between scriptures and actions & a friend simply explained, “it’s the difference between tradition & religion.” At the moment, that simple statement was an epiphany that will always remain with me and now I wonder: 

In The Orville’s 25th century world, when organized religion on Earth no longer appears prevalent, what traditions, that may have risen out of faith (such as Christmas, Hanukkah, Valentines, Halloween, etc.) have we preserved? Have they disappeared? Have we created new ones? 

traditions
This topic was modified 2 years ago by YesAndAgain

Tink Lecuyer
(@tink)
Ensign

We know birthdays are still celebrated. lol. It’s a great question and hope Season 3 can answer for us! So many holiday traditions are pagan in origin. I love that about them. 

ReplyQuote
atuzam
(@atuzam)
Ensign

Did y'all see John A Reed's Tweet about "Krillmas?"

"Have a holly jolly Krillmas,
It’s the best time of the year!
I don’t know, if Avis will show,
But Gordon’s got a cup of beer!"

Too cute! I love it!

ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

@tink

It's very true.  Originally, pagans referred to those who followed ancient, and usually polytheistic religion, but now it has come to mean someone that doesn't follow any religion and paganism has evolved into a form of worship of the natural world. I don't see any reason why a "non-believer" wouldn't celebrate Christmas (not thinking of anyone in particular  😉 ) or Halloween (All Hallows Eve, the eve before the Christian All Saints' Day). 

Maybe I just want to see the Orville deck, decked out or the crew in costume for something other than trying to blend in. I'd like to think we have reasons to celebrate in our future Earth--celebrations always bring humanity closer.

ReplyQuote
YesAndAgain
(@yesandagain)
Ensign
Topic starter  

@atuzam

Yes indeed, and John A. Reed’s (@JohnnyAReed) Tweet can be found here (check it out, it’s terrific!):
"Have a holly jolly Krillmas," Goodwill

ReplyQuote
Share: